Saturday, September 18, 2010

My hands hurt from clapping! (#RainTribute #TheFoxTheatre)

Last night a fab four group of us saw "RAIN: A Tribute to the Beatles" at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Atlanta. It was groovy. Totally. Our small group ranged in enthusiasm from "who cares about the Beatles, I'm here to have fun" to "I know every word of every song". All of us walked out fans of RAIN and the Beatles.

We clapped, we stood and danced, we fake-swooned, we screamed and we had psychedelic fun. I have laugh lines permanently etched into my face now! My hands are sore from clapping. I worked off the calories from dinner (I hope) dancing at my seat.

One of many things that's cool about the show is the glimpses of recent history that they show on the three huge movie screens set up behind and beside the stage. They show old commercials, shots of Beatles fans, bits of things that were happening at the time the Beatles tunes were coming onto the scene and other graphics to get you in the mood.

RAIN does a fabulous job of bringing the Beatles back to the stage. I was out in California a few years ago and the friend I was with was a huge Beatles fan. She dragged me to one Beatles tribute after another during the week we were there. Some were good, some were OK, none compared to RAIN.

RAIN sings all of the songs, it's not lip sync. And it's good singing, too.

I was a little young to be part of the Beatles craziness, but I grew up listening to the Beatles and seeing them. Although I'm certainly not an expert, it seemed to me that they captured the mannerisms and the flavor of the Beatles perfectly. Loved the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band outfits! I saw on their site or maybe it was on the Fox Theatre site that they use a number of the same instruments the Beatles used, too.

I listened to the comments of those around me during the show and during intermission. All ages were there to see RAIN. I heard not one negative from anyone of any age. "Awesome" - a teen behind me. "I'm glad I came" - a mid 30's type. "I want to do this again" - a 50 - 60 year old woman. Everyone was raving about RAIN.

The crowd all got in the mood except one older guy who didn't stand, didn't sway, didn't smile. He was sitting in front of me kind of being, well, just there. The two women who sandwiched him must have been used to his stoic nature 'cause they just danced, talked over his head to each other and had a great time. But you know what? Toward the end I caught the guy clapping to the music! And he stood clapping enthusiastically for the standing O.

We'll never experience Beatles-mania, but it was fun cutting up and letting our hair down! RAIN is talented in their own right and I think they could do non-Beatles concerts if they wanted. However, I'm glad they're doing the Beatles.

I'm hooked. I'll be watching for them to come back to Atlanta, hopefully at the Fabulous Fox Theatre again, too.

They'll only be here through the 19th (tomorrow), but I'd bet you can still grab a ticket. There are no bad seats for this show!

www.theaterofthestars.com
www.raintribute.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We pre-approve all messages (mainly to keep out the spam). Sorry, won't post anything with a link. Like music? I'm on www.blip.fm, too! Same name. You'll also find me on Twitter and Facebook.